Amid the ongoing appointments to the top posts (encadred for IPS officers), it may be interesting to figure out how the senior most serving top cops are placed in the country’s police hierarchies.
As the last month of the year run out, the country’s police hierarchy presents an interesting picture. Rajiv Jain & Anil Kumar Dhasmana have already been named IB and RAW chief and the chiefs of CBI & Aviation Research Centre are yet to be appointed.
Going by seniority and merit, a list of following 15 senior most serving IPS officers in the country emerges:
- Krishna Chaudhary (1979: Bihar)- DG, ITBP
- Dineshwar Sharma (1979: KL)- The outgoing Director of Intelligence Bureau
- Aruna Bahuguna (1979: TG)- Director, National Police Academy
- Alok Kumar Verma (1979: UT)- Delhi Police Commissioner
- Syed Anwarul Huda (1979: AP)- Serving in the cadre state
- P C Thakur (1980: GJ)– Former DGP Gujarat, currently on leave and set to retire on 31 Dec. 2016
- Rajiv Jain (1980: JH)- Recently named as next IB Director
- Archana Ramasundaram (1980: TN)- DG, Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB)
- P P Pande (1980: GJ)- DGP, Gujarat
- H P Singh (1980: GJ)- DG Home Guards & President of Gujarat IPS Association
- Rupak Kumar Dutta (1981: KN)- Special Secretary (Internal Secretary), MHA
- Navdeep Singh (1981: RJ)- DG, Home Guards, Rajasthan
- Meeran C Borwankar (1981: MH)- Director, Bureau of Police Research & Development
- Kode Durga Prasad (1981: AP)- DG, CRPF
- S C Mathur (1981: MH)- DGP, Maharashtra
It may be noted that of these fifteen, five officers belong to the 1979 batch whereas next five senior most officers belong to 1980 and 1981 batch each. Eight out of fifteen are serving at the center and the remaining seven in their cadre state. Two of them (Dineshwar Sharma & PC Thankur) are retiring this month, eleven will retire next year and three will retire in 2018. Having named as next Director of IB, Rajiv Jain will be the last one to retire i.e. December 2018, but this will also depend on who becomes next CBI Director.